Massage Therapy Helps Manage Diabetes
In recognition of November as Diabetes Awareness Month, we explore the benefits of massage therapy for this prevalent, life-threatening disease. According to the American Diabetes Association, one out of every 11 people currently has diabetes. But what is more worrisome, is that one in four people do not know they have it!
Diabetes comes in two forms:
Type I, which is not preventable and in which the body does not produce enough insulin.
Type II, which is preventable and in which the body cannot process insulin correctly.
The 5 key benefits of massage therapy for the diabetic client are:
- Increased circulation tends to encourage cellular intake of glucose and improve insulin utilization. This benefit is expected; however, a diabetic client should check glucose levels an hour or two after receiving a massage to witness how his glucose levels have been altered.
- Relaxation is a great benefit to the diabetic client. The physical and mental stresses of having chronic disease may take a toll upon the entire body, yet calming the nervous system can bring ease to the client, allowing her body to better restore harmonic organ balance.
- Increased mobility and enhanced tissue elasticity. Both of these effects will allow the client to avoid a sedentary lifestyle that often sets in upon depression associated with his condition.
- Friction and scar removal techniques over chronic injection sites can relieve pain and dysfunction associated with these regions. Chronic buildup of scar tissue can thicken tissue to an extent that severely limits mobility. Relieving these regions will restore mobility even further.
- May help restore nerve functionality and sensation. A lack of nerve functionality brings a host of other concerns for allopathic practitioners; therefore, improving sensation will help a client remain on a proper clinical course of treatment.
Increasing circulation, relaxation, positive myofascial effects, relieving scar tissue at injection sites and diminishing the effects of neuropathy are all positive benefits to the diabetic client that will assist this individual in living a normal, healthy life.
From Massage Magazine, 2015. Information presented in this article is not intended to replace advice from a medical professional.